|File Type||Android Package File Aka’ APK|
|Who Developed it?||Google INC.|
|Category||Executable on Android devices and various emulators for windows, iOS and mac.|
File Extension APK
So you have downloaded an APK file but you don’t know what to do with it, what it is and how it works. Don’t be surprised a major number of people don’t know what an APK file is and how it runs on your device.
You probably downloaded it to play your favorite game, stream videos, social media usage or may be something else but you are stuck here searching what to do with thing that you just downloaded.
Don’t worry we are here for you, in this blog you will find –
Here we begin…
What is APK File?
An APK File or .APK Extension belongs to Google to run android apps, everything that download from google play store is written in Android Package File executable on android devices however whenever you download an APK file it requires to follow some steps whenever it’s downloaded from external source.
FYI android only consider play store as an internal tool and all other apps, websites are considered external sources.
However, if you don’t have an Android device; don’t worry you can still run the application on your devices using android. emulator available for mac and windows.
How to install .APK file on An Android Device
Whether an android phone or android tab you can easily execute by changing some settings and preferences to install .apk file on your device.
Android platform lets you download and install .apk files from external sources, this is what makes it unique from any other smartphone platform, though due to security reasons you have to manually do a handful of steps to make it happen.
Here are the steps you have to Open an APK File
We believe that you have already downloaded the apk file and it is sitting in your files inside download folder.
Before you begin installing –
- Go to the setting, usually can be found by searching or rolling your finger from top to bottom and you will many options like screen brightness and all, here you have to click on setting icon.
- When you are in, now click on the security and this will pop the Android Security Settings.
- Here you will see unknow source option, allow it by clicking the checkbox, by doing this it will allow installation of apps from unknown or external sources.
- Now go to APK file and click to install. You will be notified with a warning that – it is risky to allow unknown sources however you can uncheck again when you are done installing your APK file; So no worries!
- The moment you allow installation, the file will be installed.
Tip: go back to setting and undo changes you did to install this file to avoid future security risks.
How to Open An APK File on Windows PC
We stated above the APK file belongs to android family however there are many android emulators that let you install and play your android files on windows PC.
To do so you need to know what is an android emulator and what are the best android emulators to run an android apk file on windows.
What is an Android Emulator?
An android emulator is basically available for windows and mac pcs to provide you android platform inside an app that runs on pcs, so like the name suggests it emulates the android environment.
Android emulators has many popular options but you should pick one that respects your privacy and not stealing your precious data just because you installed them.
Following are the Best Android Emulator for Windows –
You can find more alternative looking at web, but I have picked the best options available when it comes to privacy, security and performance.
How to Install Android Emulator on PC
- Go to the official website of any of the above android emulator by clicking on the links.
- You might have to uninstall virtualbox before installing any of these applications.
- When downloaded and installed, run the app and you will be prompt to few options to set your preferences like google account login, settings, location etc.
- Drag and drop the .apk file on the emulator and your emulator will install it.
- It will be run inside your emulator just like it runs on android devices.